Angel Xuan Chang
I am an Assistant Professor at Simon Fraser University. Prior to this, I was a visiting research scientist at Facebook AI Research and a research scientist at Eloquent Labs working on dialogue. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford, where I was part of the Natural Language Processing Group and advised by Chris Manning. My research focuses on connecting language to 3D representations of shapes and scenes and grounding of language for embodied agents in indoor environments. I have worked on methods for synthesizing 3D scenes and shapes from natural language, and various datasets for 3D scene understanding. In general, I am interested in the semantics of shapes and scenes, the representation and acquisition of common sense knowledge, and reasoning using probabilistic models. Some of my other interests include drawing and dance.
- July 16, 2020 - Lecture on natural language processing at Invent the Future: AI Scholors Program at Simon Fraser University
- July 9, 2020 - Invited talk at the Workshop on Advances in Language and Vision Research (ALVR) at ACL 2020
- July 8, 2020 - ScanNet received the Symposium on Geometry Processing (SGP) dataset award.
- July, 2020 - Paper on localizing objects based on natural language descriptions in 3D scans is accepted at ECCV 2020.
- June, 2020 - I'm co-organizing three workshops at CVPR 2020
- February, 2020 - Paper on simulation platform with articulated parts (SAPIEN) is accepted at CVPR 2020.
- January, 2020 - I'm teaching CMPT 825 Natural language Processing this spring
- August, 2019 - I started as assistant professor at Simon Fraser University
- July, 25, 2019 - Lecture on deep learning for images at the DLRL Summer School at University of Alberta
- July 18, 2019 - Lecture on natural language processing at Invent the Future: AI Scholors Program at Simon Fraser University
- June 17, 2019 - Invited talk at the 360 Indoor Scene Understanding and Modeling (SUMO) workshop at CVPR
- May, 2019 - I'm visiting Facebook AI Research this summer
- March, 2019 - PartNet prerelease v0 is now available!
- March, 2019 - Two upcoming workshops at CVPR 2019: 3D Scene Generation workshop and Scannet Indoor Scene Understanding workshop
- March, 2019 - Three papers accepted at CVPR 2019
- Dec 3, 2018 - I'm honored to be named to the first cohort of CIFAR AI Chairs.
- Sept 9, 2018 - Visual Learning and Embodied Agents in Simulation Environments at ECCV 2018.
- Sept, 2018 - Visiting Matthias Niessner at TUM.
- July 11, 2018 - ShapeNet received the Symposium on Geometry Processing (SGP) dataset award.
- June 29, 2018 - Invited talk at RSS 2018 workshop on New Benchmarks, Metrics, and Competitions for Robotic Learning.
- June 11, 2018 - ScanNet v2 release and ScanNet Benchmark challenge announced.
- June 3, 2018 - I joined Eloquent Labs.
- May 2018 - Co-organizing ECCV 2018 workshop on Visual Learning and Embodied Agents in Simulation Environments.
- March 2018 - I was awarded the TUM-IAS Hans Fischer Fellowship.